Monday, March 5, 2012

Returning to the Holy Land

(from March 1-2, 2012) There is a sense of liberation that accompanies the nervousness of landing in a foreign country where one doesn't speak the language and can't even read the alphabet. I had a game plan of course- hire a shared taxi and get to my Professor's flat in Jerusalem - never mind that his flat was in a neighborhood I didn't know. There was a bit of faith involved in hoping that the driver would actually know where he was going and I wouldn't spend the day being driven around Jerusalem. It worked out quite well and by 5'o clock or thereabouts, I arrived at their flat.

Sometimes it's the little things that change your perspective. Last week I lost my job unexpectedly, only four weeks after I started an eighteen month position as Scholar in Residence at the Religious Institute and it really isn't something I've processed yet (other than moving back to Boston). Perhaps Jerusalem was exactly what I needed - to be halfway around the world, far from all my responsibilities, in another country with problems that make mine look trivial. With only a dash of familiarity in the form of my Prof and his family, I had a moment if quiet to just be. (And yes, this is possible to achieve this with two small vivacious children running about. )
I didn't even know how much I needed a sanctuary, but I suppose it's not unexpected given the recent events in my life. I'd been in Israel and Palestine before, I'd learned about the conflict first had and had some idea of where I stood on the matter, but these first twenty-four hours were just about solace. I was wined and dined by my professor and his family, had an opportunity to play with his children and answer their questions, and attempt to adjust to the seven hour time difference. There were, of course, theological discussions interspersed among catching up on each others' lives and a restful and blissful day of feeling like I was amongst family.

On Friday we woke up to snow in Jerusalem - perhaps the most unexpected surprise. There is something about snow that always tugs at my heart strings an fills me with a sense of peace. It felt like Christmas morning - waking up to a white covered street in Jerusalem. It melted before there was time to adequately play in it (and quickly turned to freezing rain / sleet thus canceling our touristy plans) but it filled me with a sense of happiness and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment